Vaginal atrophy,breast cancer,red,itchy spots on labia majora,hydrocortisone

i am a 62 year old lady.i have vaginal atrophy for the past 18 months.i use cream as i cannot ues estregen as i had early stage breast cancer 11 years ag o my atrophy is not to trouble some and comes and goes .there is a spot that itches more than any where else ,on my labia majora,it seems to be in the crease wher the outer lips start from the groin.i went for a check up 8 months ago and all was well it is slightly red from the itch and a little shiney but it does go when i put my hydrocortisone cream on .should i be concerned .
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later

There can be 2 reasons here that is causing the itching.First its a skin inflammation possibly due to infection.The steroid cream that you use acts as an anti-inflmmatory agent.Most common cause is fungal infections like tinea etc.The treatment is steroids.

The other cause could be folliculitis due to clogged hair follicles that may sometimes become infected and cause inflammation.This is more or less harmless and often resolves on its own.In infected cases antibiotics might be needed.

You should see a dermatologist to confirm the diagnosis.
Keep the creases dry after wash/bath.Water retention aggravates fungal infection.Dry the areas well.