Uvula is touching tongue and having discomfort in throat. What could it be?

Hi doctors, My Uvula suddenly is touching my tounge and I can feel it at the back of my throat. I am having discomfort. It suddenly happened today morning. Its not swollen but I don't know its dragged. Please help me out here Thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer...given below Detailed answer... Hello, Thanks for the query. A sudden or overnight swelling of uvula is generally due to dehydration ( may be caused by excessive drinking of alcohol ) ,smoking,common cold,any viral or bacterial infection,acid reflux,any allergy,exposure to very hot or cold food etc. If you have inflamed and red uvula or sore throat or tonsillitis or bumps on uvula or fever,then consult a doctor for appropriate medication,but in most of the cases,the enlarged uvula settles in couple of days even without medications. You may do some warm gargling or take some honey with warm water.You should be all right in next couple of days. In case if you find that your symptoms or discomfort are increasing,then consult a doctor,otherwise there is nothing to worry. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks