Uterus is non gravid, bulky and distorted in shape. Have fibroids and ovarian cyst. Fertility at risk?

Mar 2013
Hi uterus is non gravid,bulky and distorted in shape 11.3 by 8.3 by 9.5 cm.2 large intramural fibroids are in posterior wall larger one 5.5 cm.smaller fibroid is the anterior wall 1.9 cm.endometrium is displaced anterior lay and measures 0.6cm thick.right ovary normal left ovary large.seen complex ovarian cyst measuring 4cm and has XXXXXXX echoes.normal left ovarian follicles are seen,no free fluid in the pouch of XXXXXXX
Age 32 No kids. my fertility at risk.can I get kids(have not started trying will start this November).im not on any family planning.
2. Do I need to do surgery to remove cyst and fibroids.
Posted Wed, 4 Sep 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Addressing your two questions specifically -
1. Generally fibroids do not interfere with fertility. However in your case , the fibroids are quite large, and they have distorted the uterine cavity and the endometrium. Such fibroids CAN cause difficulty in conception and implantation of the fertilized egg, predisposing to infertility, abortions, preterm labor etc. Also, if you further have symptoms like increased menstrual bleeding, pain etc, then removal of the fibroids is recommended before planning a family.

2. The complex ovarian cyst does not mandate removal right away. Complex ovarian cysts can be haemorrhagic, due to infections, due to a condition called endometriosis etc. For a 4 cm cyst, a wait and watch approach can be tried, and if the cyst does not resolve after antibiotics or increases in size, or causes pain and other symptoms, then removal can be done. If you are planning myomectomy ( removal of fibroids ), then the cyst also can be dealt with at the same sitting.

Take care, and please feel free to discuss further.