Uterus fibroid, had miscarriage, delivered premature baby. Best doctors?

Hi, my sister got married 7 years ago and has gone through a few miscarriages in during this period. A couple of months ago she delivered a prematured child. Her latest scan report says she has uterus fibroid. size 2.3. Can you advise the best doctors in Hyderabad and Bangalore for this treatment and how long will this take to cure, and can she have a normal pregnancy in due course?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 22 minutes later

Fibroid uterus is a benign (non cancerous) uterine tumour and is one of the most common cause of excessive bleeding during periods and is also associated with complications during pregnancy including miscarriages and premature birth.

Most of the commonly occuring fibroids do not affect pregnancy but it depends on the location of it. As the blood supply to fibroids is increased during pregnancy so they increase in size and causes issues.

As they are formed due to hormonal imbalance medications are not helpful in such case and usually a surgery for removal of fibroid or embolization (fibroids are shrunk) is done.

Since she has been having recurrent miscarriages the further line of action can be decided after evaluation of the fibroid size, location and other problems if any.

Regarding the Gynaecologist in Bangalore, she can consult Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX (available in Telerad and VIMS Bangalore) who has handled fibroid cases very well.

In Hyderabad, she can consult in Apollo Hospital.

There are also reviews written by our users about doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area. WWW.WWWW.WW

Hope this answers your query.

I will be available for follow up query in case of doubt.

Follow-up: Uterus fibroid, had miscarriage, delivered premature baby. Best doctors? 22 hours later
Thanks Doctor Mitaly!

Heard NISA hospital, Hyderabad (Dr, Farida) is a good gynecologist
too.Your advise please and also help me know more about
'embolization', I am told that there would be chances of recurrence in
this ?

Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 24 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up.

Embolization is stopping of the blood flow to the fibriods which if stopped will ultimately regress them.This procedure is very helpful for multiple fibroids and usually helps in controlling the symptoms of heavy bleeding.

The question whether this procedure has any effect on the fertility has not been completely established yet and it depends on the treating Doctor.Many of the Gynaecologists still prefer doing surgery for removal instead of the embolization.

You can visit Dr XXXXXXX she has good reviews.Consider taking an opinion for further course of treatment.

Wishing Good health!