Uterus and ovaries removed. Feeling discomfort in lower abdomen. What is causing this?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
I am a 55 yrs old lady, had my uterus and ovaries removed 10 over years ago. I tend to have the habit of sitting cross legged. Two years ago I had the same feeling as now, little discomfort in my lower abdomen. Reddish pus came from the anus. Saw my own doctor in 2010 and done a colonscopy and 2 polys were removed. Supposed to have a review next year. The doctor had told me not to eat too much fibres. Recently I went on the TRA programe and took alot of fruits, vegetables and my habit of sitting cross legged return. Could this be the reason for this discomfort or have other reasons. A little brownish discharge return but when I cleaned it it will go away for a while. So long I sit cross legged i feel this discomfor.
Posted Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX,
I have gone through your history, and there could be some reasons for the lower abdominal discomfort.
One could be muscle pull and lower abdominal strain due to sitting cross legged for longer periods.
Apart from that, it could be constipation or mild bowel infection.
Urinary tract infection often causes dull pain in the lower abdomen.
Since you are also having a little brownish discharge ( I assume this is anal discharge ), I would advise you to visit your doctor for a check up again.
Also, I hope you are on regular follow up with your gynecologist as you had your hysterectomy done 10 years back.
Sometimes, hormonal fluctuations after menopause, causes such vague pains and aches also.
WIthout a complete examination, it is difficult to pinpoint the exact cause for your problems.
Avoid sitting cross legged for longer periods of time, and try a hot water bottle for relief meanwhile.
Take care, and feel free to ask for further clarifications.

Follow-up: Uterus and ovaries removed. Feeling discomfort in lower abdomen. What is causing this? 9 minutes later
Thank you for your response. Does eating alot of vegetables, fruits or fibre intake gives this problem as well.

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 7 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
A high fibre diet in fact is good for the bowel, and it eases constipation, but often, if taken in excess, it causes indigestion and bloating and gaseous distension, which might cause pain.
Take any kind of diet in moderation.