Using withdrawal method. Period delayed. Had irregular period. Positive pregnancy test. Chances of pregnancy?

What are the chances of me being pregnant? My husband and I use the withdrawal method and this month my period is late 6 days. I have always suffered irregular periods but since my first pregnancy and when I stopped breastfeeding my periods came back and I got a period at least every month, regular for the first three and then the date changed then it was regular for the next three months. The last time I was pregnant I got endless negative tests and also a negative blood test too. I did persist with it and then approximately missing 2 months of my period I got a positive pregnancy test where I was about 6-7 weeks pregnant. With my history, is it likely I could be pregnant? I have done a test today and got a negative result. I appreciate any advice you can give.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 40 minutes later

Withdrawal method is not a sure way to protect you from pregnancy. Since your periods are overdue, the chances of pregnancy are present.

With a history of irregular periods, the delayed conception is also a possibility where you don’t get a positive pregnancy test till late.

Right now you can wait for one more week and then test again with a morning sample of urine for pregnancy. I suggest you to test for pregnancy with a highly sensitive (20 - 25 mIU) pregnancy test. Also you can get your serum HCG levels estimated since it is more specific than urine for pregnancy tests.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.