Using supatret gel, acnelak soap and cetaphil for acne. Mild irritation and redness blow the nose. Proper medication?

Hello Doctor
I am undergoing treatment for acne and my doctor prescribed me the below medicines
SUPATRET GEL - to be applied in the night
ACNELAK SOAP - to wash the face.

i m applying SUPATRET GEL all over the face and Will leave it overnight. Morning i Will wash with the soap he prescribed.Is it the right way to do? because i feel a mild irritation and redness around and below my nose.

Also i have dry skin so can i apply MOISTURISER and then apply SUPATRET GEL
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Acne
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 1 hour later

The treatment prescribed for acne is fine and there is nothing wrong in the way of application.

Supatret is a retinoid and causes dryness that is what it is meant for; because oily skin is prone to acne and supatret makes it dry and opens the clogged pores and affects skin keratinisation.

One has to apply supatret in very minute quantities and wash of in morning. In case there is a lot of dryness in morning, you can apply any moisturising gel.

Creams are oil based and can cause acne. Gels are water soluble products and are washed away in sweat.
If any cream is applied before supatret then the effectiveness of the gel will be compromised. So restrict using any creams.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Dr.Rohit Batra