Using some cocaine, got high heart rate. Serious?

I have been using some cocaine today and my heart rate is at 132 is this an emergency. I feel ok
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 27 minutes later

A normal adult's heart rate can be anywhere from 60 to 100 beats per minute. Anything over 100 is technically defined as a tachycardia. What you are having is tachycardia due to cocaine. Cocaine increases heart rate and blood pressure while constricting the arteries supplying blood to the heart. The result can be a heart attack, even in young people without heart disease.

You should stop using cocaine as soon as possible. Cocaine stays in your body for around 2-3 days from the day of intake. Drink plenty of water and start exercising daily for a faster excretion form your body.

Emergency treatment often consists of administering a benzodiazepine sedation agent, such as diazepam (Valium) to decrease the elevated heart rate and blood pressure.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.