Using propane heater to heat home. Having memory problem. Is this unhealthy?

I have been heating my home with one unvented wall propane heater for many years. It is in a downstairs (split-level) room... heat rises, and I prefer living with cool temperatures. I do have an Amish "fireplace" also upstairs in the LR. My question is, after all this time, "Is this unhealthy?" I know I cannot keep any plants throughout the winter. They dry up and die, even in rooms farthest from the heat source. My cat has a skin allergy (the vet does not know why) where she chews off the fur on her belly and sides, and parts of her legs. She doesn't act ill, except for chewiing the hair off. She is 12 now. I have known my memory is changing fast for probably 5-6 years; I am 70. It is not like the normal elderly forgetfulness. Short-term and what I am trying to think of never does come to my mind. I have a hard time remembering what I have just been told, even listening intently.... I cannot think of it at all. I am considering another source of heat, or mount a heater on an outside wall with a vent to the outdoors, maybe using the chimney. Thank you for your thoughts. Signed, XXXXXXX PS. My query is not one of the listed ones below.... environment??
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2013 in Environmental and Occupational Hazards
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for sharing your concern. The following are my comments:

1. As far as your propane heater is concerned, yes it's not a very healthy option considering the fact that it produces carbon monoxide (CO) on burning. Carbon monoxide fumes can be injurious to health. However if your room is well vented with sufficient vents, I guess you have enough oxygen to convert CO to carbon dioxide(co2),which is comparatively less injurious.
Therefore if you have live in a well ventilated rooms, the propane heaters are not seriously XXXXXXX

2. Regarding your forgetfulness, I do not think it is associated with propane heaters. Perhaps this could be age related. You may discuss with your physician about that.

3. I would not be the right person to answer veterinary concerns. You can visit a veterinarian and to exclude any skin infection.

Hope I answered your queries. Let me know if you need further clarifications.