Using nuvaring. Started bleeding after sex, have dry and swollen vagina. Due to hormonal imbalance?

Question
Recently after sex I have break through bleeding and sometimes can not get wet enough or stay wet and end up with a swollen labia. I never had this before I started Birth Control (nuvaring) could this be from the hormones? What can I do and could this be more serious then a hormone imbalance? I am in the military and we have multiple tests for gonorrhea and other stds and I have always had negative results.
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Hello
The vaginal secretions mainly is hormone dependant. Lack of estrogen usually causes vaginal dryness. Now NUVARING contains both types of hormones. It possible that the dose of the hormones isnt enough for you. You can get your hormone levels checked.
If that is the case, you may need to change the nuvaring and use another form of BC. I dont think stds are the cause for this. You can apply topical lubricants before intercourse to relieve the dryness. If that doesnt help,you can try estrogen cream for local application with cautious intent.

Follow-up: Using nuvaring. Started bleeding after sex, have dry and swollen vagina. Due to hormonal imbalance? 3 minutes later
What about the break through bleeding after intercourse?

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 9 minutes later
Thats caused due to hormonal imbalance too. It seems that the dose of the hormone isnt enough,so the fluctuation in levels is causing the breakthrough bleeding. Make sure you get a pap smear test yearly.