Using novelon tablets. Is there any side effect? Looking for male contraceptive except condoms

Question
Doctor, My wife 40 years old is using Novelon tablets since the last three months. Want to know if there is any side effects for using Novelon?
Also would like to have your advise for a suitable male contraceptive except condoms please
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 2 hours later
Novelon has short term side-effects like nausea, vomiting, headache etc. Long term side effects are increase episode of clot formation, worsening of migraine and some cancers like breast etc. These XXXXXXX effects of OCPs occurs in few patients only that too when OCPs are used for than 2 years or so without any gap.
Regarding male contraception, condoms are most acceptable and easily available. Vasectomy/ male sterilization is permanent method, if you do not want child in future. Other male pills etc are still in research and not in practical use.
At the age of 40 years for women, Mirena IUCD can be a good alternative. Consult your local Gynecologist for its insertion etc. Another alternative is tubectomy which is a permanent method.

Best wishes

Follow-up: Using novelon tablets. Is there any side effect? Looking for male contraceptive except condoms 3 hours later
Madam,
Thanks for your reply. I want to know if Mirena IUCD can be inserted in non pregnant women (she has not conceived). We have decided not to have a second child as I have got a 3 year old daughter from earlier marriage. Kindly reply please

Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 46 hours later

Mirena IUCD can be inserted in non pregnant women provided she does not wish to have a child in future. In your case, in my opinion your wife should not use mirena as contraceptive choice, because she may have desire in future to become pregnant.

If she is comfortable with pills, let her use it in consultation with your local Gynecologist.

Warm wishes