Using nicotine patches and chewing gums. Is there a better way to control smoking?

I am seriously thinking to quit smoking, although I succeed in staying away from Nicotine for about a week or month , I end up to crave more after a certain time and start again.
I usually smoke 2 to 3 cigarettes per day (it might sound funny but I don't smoke at all during weekends :) )
Is there a better way in which I can control my addiction ?
Nicotine patches/chewing gums are something that I personally do not want to use myself.Not sure how true it is but I've seen a couple of friends who started smoking more than what they used to do before trying out these patches/chewing gums.

Thanks much.
Posted Mon, 23 Jul 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later

Your problem is making me nostalgic. I am going in the old memory lanes of Bikaner - My friend XXXXXXX as a young medico took to smoking; almost an occasional smoker like you, tried quitting, failed twice but succeeded by the end of our M.B.B.S., a 5year duration.

I am happy that your level of smoking is very low and is not expected to cause any physical dependence, you are having only psychological dependence and you can win just by abstinence and a commitment to quit and in the last you are again.... XXXXXXX "So you are sure to succeed!"

Patches and chewing gums are for those who have high levels of smoking habit.

Leisure smoking usually happens on certain occasions, with certain friends that remind you to smoke, just change your schedule for few days to cut down on these smoking leads, and don't carry a cigarette box and change the route on which your Panwalah is awaiting to salute you.
These are simple behavioural tips that have worked for so many of my friends and patients!

I hope this advice would be helpful for you. Let me know if you need more help.

Best Regards