Using melacare for past few days. Now got dark skin due to sunlight. Can I stop using melacare?

Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon
im using melacare for past 10 days.i was white at that time.but i played in sunlight cos of my office function.shall i use melacare now back.becos now i become more darker than before.
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Souvik Adhikari 32 minutes later

Melacare is an ointment comprising of 3 active ingredients: hydroquinone, which has the ability to lighten the skin by its inhibitory effect on melanocytes; tretinoin, which is useful as a pre-treatment and also reduces fine wrinkles in the skin and finally mometasone which is a steroid and reduces swelling and inflammation.

Please note that prolonged use of hydroquinone can cause darkening of the skin - a condition known as exogenous ochronosis. But this is not applicable in your case since you have used it for only 10 days.

In your case it seems to be the result of the direct effect of sunlight which is antagonistic to the effects of melacare ointment.

Therefore, the best strategy is to reapply melacare ointment at night time and wash your face off in the morning. Additionally, you need to resort to a sunscreen of SPF 26 and above before sun exposure to counter the effects of sunlight. All these should be under the guidance of a physician so you should talk to a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon before you continue with the above management.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.

All the very best!