Using lotrimin for fungal infection in ankle. Started spreading to wrist. How to cure this?

I have a question concerning anti-fungal infection. Initially the only infected area was to left ankle area but now it seems to be spreading to the right ankle and now my left wrist. For the past several weeks I have been treating the infection with Lotrimin. I am concerned that I am too contagious to go to work. Can you help?
Posted Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Prasad 36 minutes later

Fungal infection spread to other body parts and to other individuals when a thriving environment is available. In other words, fungal infections spread in the presence of excess moisture, lowered immunity, presence of other chronic infection and or presence of high blood sugar.

One of the aforementioned factors could be the reasons for spreading fungus. Besides that ineffective drugs might also contribute to the spread.

In simple terms, fungal infection is opportunistic infections and not a contagious infection. Your colleagues can get infected by touch only if they have one of the favourable environments as described above.

That being said, it is also important to realize if what you have is a fungal infection and not a different entity. I wouldn't question this if the condition was diagnosed by your doctor after a clinical examination. In such case, taking oral antifungal drugs along with lotrimin can give additional benefits.

Hope this is clear. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow-up: Using lotrimin for fungal infection in ankle. Started spreading to wrist. How to cure this? 8 minutes later
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
You are welcome.

I would appreciate if you close this discussion and review in case there are no follow-ups.

Best Wishes