Using lasik. What is the cause of red and dry eye?

Question
Hi, I am a 21 year old male. I have used Clear Eyes to get the red out in the past. I started in very late December 2011, and quit using them in late April 2012. I would only use these drops three times a week at most. I had LASIK in early XXXXXXX 2012. Recently, I have experienced dry eyes and have small red veins in my eyes that are more prominent than they used to be. My question is, since I have quit using Clear Eyes over 5 months ago, are my red eyes due to the dryness of the eye from LASIK or are they from rebound redness from the eye drops? I was under the assumption rebound redness began as soon as the effect of the eye drops wore off.
Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 5 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The red eyes are most likely the result of LASIK.LASIK can cause red eyes for a number of reasons , dry eyes being one of them.It would not likely be due to the eye drops since you stopped them a long time ago.
Other possible reasons for dry eyes after LASIK would be infections, contact lens problem, corneal ulceration, bleed in the eye.

There are a number of different medications that your doctor can give you to assist with the dryness.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions

Follow-up: Using lasik. What is the cause of red and dry eye? 19 minutes later
Thank you for your response. Since i had LASIK 4 months ago, im hoping the dry eyes will resolve in the next couple months. Also, is rebound redness from using the eye drops permanent, being that i was not a chronic user and only used them for 4 months?

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 34 minutes later

Rebound hyperemia is not permanent, the it takes to resolve depends on the length of time it was used.Since you used them for only 4 mths and the last occasion was in April , it would not be likely that it would be contributing to your symptoms.

Redness in the eyes can also be due to other causes such as infections or allergies and you may want to consider visiting your doctor for an assessment.

Feel free to ask any additional questions

Follow-up: Using lasik. What is the cause of red and dry eye? 44 hours later
Do you know if using a steroid drop such as Alrex would cure the redness?

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 4 hours later
Hi, if the redness is secondary to the dry eyes then it would best respond to treatment of your dry eyes by using artificial tears.There are also eye drops that incease tear production that may be useful to you.
Remember you last used the eye drops in April which was 6 months ago, it is less likely that rebound is causing the redness.

You may want to consider visiting your general doctor or opthamologist for a history and examination , so that the exact reason for the redness can be determined.
It is best not to use a steroid in your eyes unless recommended for a specific reason by your doctor.