Using l-glutathione, alpha t acids and vitamin c. Is it effective for skin whitening?

Hi Sir,

I am using l-glutathione with alpha t acids + vitamin c daily.may i know is it effective for skin whitening.If not means tell me the remedy for skin whitening.Before I was using hydroquinone,got fair skin.After one year got pimples on my face.So I was frustrated what to belive or not.Please help me in this issue.

Thank and regards,
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 36 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for sharing your query with us.

'Fairness' and 'skin whitening' is a desired result for many .However it is extremely important to have a sound knowledge of the available modalities before using them and have some realistic expectations from the process.

What is the most predominant determining factor in the complexion of a person is the 'Genetic' color.Although we might be born with a lighter skin tone , the genetic color also undergoes changes with stages of life with environmental and hormonal factors affecting them.
You can take steps to prevent the environmental factors to damage/darken your skin, but unfortunately ,we cannot do anything for the genetic and hormonal factors.
Therefore any agent, which is applied on skin to lighten it, has an effect only till you apply and continue .Once you have stopped it , your normal color comes back.Also ,long term use of many creams cause several side-effects, so this is not a solution to skin lightening.

l-glutathione is believed to have an effect on lightening on skin color by several studies made .However , this is not US-FDA approved and the long term side-effect profile is not known.

You can follow a few steps to achieve a clearer skin :
1) Use a broad spectrum sun-screen and wear it continuously throughout the day.It is good to apply this even indoors.Ensure you have put on the sunscreen 20 mins before stepping out.
2)Use Glycolic acid based creams at night .They are good exfoliators and help you achieve a cleared skin.
3)You can use Vit.C based creams in the morning .
4)Orally Vit C (1000MG) daily can be taken or other antioxidants.
5)You can go in for Glycolic Peels with a dermatologist to achieve a better lightening of skin.These peels when done once on 15-30 days ,can achieve a lightening of skin tone to a great extent.

You have to remember that any of the processes will not be able to drastically alter you skin color.The aim of any such treatment is to minimize the effect of the environmental(UV RAYS)darkening of skin and hence give you a lighter shade of healthy skin.You will be able to retain the benefits as long as you maintain your skin.

Hope this has answered your query.You can ask me any further questions you have .If you do not have any clarifications ,you may close this and rate the answer.

Best Wishes,
Follow-up: Using l-glutathione, alpha t acids and vitamin c. Is it effective for skin whitening? 6 minutes later
Please suggest me Glycolic acid and vitamin c creams.Kindly do the needful..
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 4 minutes later

Hello..Thanks for following up.

There are multiple creams in this range.The names of creams / brands available will depend on the country you stay.This will be available in all major pharmacies / cosmetic outlets in the cosmeceutical section.You can look into the labels mentioning the ingredients and pick up accordingly.

Hope this is helpful
Best wishes,