Using keflex for cellulitis and septra for UTI. Have ketons, wbc, and creatinine in urine. Profuse sweating, chills and anxiety. Septic?

I have been on keflex for cellulitis, septra for uti, cipro for uti, still have ketons, wbc, and creatinine in urine. No temp, bs70. Profuse sweating, chills, extreme fatigue, anxiety, chest tightness,. Am I septic??
Posted Mon, 23 Sep 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Maybe, but other 2 possibilities.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

With your present issues, and the background history, I would consider the following possibilities for you :

1. Antibiotic drug resistance. With 3 antibiotics used in your past, and still having issues with overall health - this may have occurred due to extremely powerful MDR (Multi-Drug Resistant) bacteria that lead to your cellulitis and UTI. Here, repeat sensitivity and cultures need review for zeroing on the right choice of the antibiotic if need be. But, one good sign against this is absence of fever. But, a higher antibiotic may be necessary.

2. Mild complications of septicemia of ARDS (Acute chest tightness resulting in breathing difficulties, lack of oxygen in lungs resulting in extreme fatigue, ensuing anxiety due to decreased oxygen pumping to brain, lowered blood pressure causing chills, elevated heart beat casing sweating. In this case I would need your Arterial blood gas values of O2 and CO2 right away before proceeding further. Also tests for blood clotting too. You would need immediate medical attention in this case - and will need oxygen support to begin with.

3. Hypoglycemia with your presumed value of Serum Glucose of 70 as a random value also is another to the list. In this case you will need intravenous dextrose as soon as possible to get them elevated. The symptoms match mostly with the above milder septicemia or ARDS type.

Get medical help asap. You may need an admission.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet, MBBS, MD.
Consultant Physician.
Follow-up: Using keflex for cellulitis and septra for UTI. Have ketons, wbc, and creatinine in urine. Profuse sweating, chills and anxiety. Septic? 29 hours later
Thank you so much for your help. I went to the ER yesterday with severe chest pain and they said I hyperventilated with a panic attack. They did test and said everything looked normal and my chest xray was normal. I was shocked. They gave me half a bag of fluids and 5 Ativan and sent me home.
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 44 hours later
Brief Answer:
Relax and keep calm.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the followup.

Good that you have taken medical assistance in ER, panic attack does give a range of symptoms you have described. But, I could not suspect this diagnosis in my probable list, as your written background medical history was full of infections.

Hence, benefit of the doubt always is good - and you have made the right decision. You now need to relax as may have suggested by your clinical diagnosis by the doctor.

Wish you best of health.