Using infant formula due to lac of breast milk. Using Dexolac Stage 1 Premium. Baby feels difficulty in passing stools. Normal?

I am XXXXX aged 25 given birth to baby boy born on 8th July 2013 named XXXXX. As Breast milk expressed from me is not enough for Baby i am using Infant formula as well from baby birth.

I am fully aware that Mothers Breast Milk is best for baby but i am just partially able to satisfy baby hunger even i breast feed for 45-60 minutes my baby after next 5 minutes starts crying for feed. I am getting only limited breast milk so i am doing breast feed as well as bottle feed.

Initially i used infant formula named 'Dexolac Stage 1' but Currently a week back i switched 'Dexolac Stage 1 Premium'.

Recently i am seeing my baby having trouble in passing Poo/motion & he is passing out Gas often, whenever baby tries to poo he cries and makes hard face expressions. Per day he passes motion/poos 3 to 4 times with semi-liquid form, & sometimes the motion/poo looks bit Green. Is that all normal ?

Can you please provide your comments & suggestions.

If my infant formula is reason motion difficulties & gas formation. Can you suggest me few Best Infant formulas which would help my baby Digestion and Good health.

Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 4 hours later
Hi thanks for contacting us.
Went through your query in detail.

First of all as a pediatrician i would personally not advice for artificial feeds other than breast milk, only in extreme situations otherwise.

One thing you have to know is that , the more the baby cries, the more he/she is requiring the milk, its not that you don't have sufficient milk. Some babies feel comfortable with mother s nipple inside their mouth.

In the mothers body, there are two kinds of reflex-prolactin and oxyticin . When the mother is happy and XXXXXXX full without any doubts or confusion in her mind , the prolactin reflex acts and more milk is secreted and expressed by oxytocin reflex.
So if you feel insecured and in doubt or get panicked when your baby cries and become tensed, these two reflexes wont work and you will have low levels of breast milk. So in situations of excessive crying of the baby, keep calm and feed the child.

Secondly, the baby having trouble in passing motion and having passed lot of gas and difficulty in passing motion as observed by you is all due to the formula feeds your are using and in addition to that its also due to the use of plastic bottle.
The baby tends to swallow lot of air along with the milk when fed with the help of a feeding bottle, and hence he passes lot of gas and has difficulty in passing motion.

To know the exact cause of the loose stools, get the stool examination done for stool routine and stool for reducing substances in any if the labs near by your area , by doing this we can rule out infective cause or lactose intolerance cause for the loose motions. Follow up the reports with your regular pediatrician. After knowing the cause, the condition can be treatable, so do not worry.

Log on to you tube videos for tips on breast feeding for better understanding of the feeding technique , it is represented by good videos , you ll have a better understanding.

Hope i have cleared your doubts, for the suggestion regarding the best infant formula kindly contact your regular pediatrician. Hope you will discontinue bottle feeds for the better health of your child. Thank you, regards.