Using dipsalic ointment on legs and hands. Any side effects?

May 2013
hai,doctor ,im 43 years old lady,im using dipsalic ointment ,is there any side effects,im applyiny on my legs hands etc,not in my face,is it good to apply on my face can u suggest.
Posted Sun, 6 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
contains betamethasone and salicylic acid

Detailed Answer:
The dipsalic cream cream contains betamethasone disproportionate and salicylic acid.
The usual side effects are:
Pruritus, allergic dermatitis, irritation, atrophy, hypopigmentation, secondary infection, striae etc.
These may not be seen in all patients but better to be cautious.
If you are having skin problem on face also you can apply. But you should avoid contact with eyes and mucous membranes.
And treatment should be reevaluated after 4 weeks.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you have satisfied with my answer, give your review at the end of the discussion.
Follow-up: Using dipsalic ointment on legs and hands. Any side effects? 5 hours later
my leg and hands become very fair,is this any problem,looking cute.
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Short term application

Detailed Answer:
The ingredients in the ointment can lead to decreased keratinization and hypopigmentation of the skin leading to fairer looking skin.
But excessive thinning of the skin can lead to side effects. So better to be careful from the beginning.
Avoid prolonged usage of the ointment.
Follow your doctor's instructions strictly.
Take sufficient gap between applications and if you apply on face, you should not apply the ointment for more than 5 days.
Follow-up: Using dipsalic ointment on legs and hands. Any side effects? 10 minutes later
shall i stop the medicine,i started from XXXXXXX 2013.
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Contact your doctor

Detailed Answer:
You once consult your doctor who prescribed the ointment to you.
Because he will be knowing your clinical condition well.
Then with his advice you can stop the ointment or can use that after some gap.