Using condoms for protected sex. Got swollen vagina. Latex allergy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Yes hello I have recently switched to using condoms with sex because I quit taking birth control. I have been married for 14 years and just don't want to risk getting pregnant today I noticed my inner vagina is swollen and white not discharge but the tissue is whitish and looks very swollen can this be due to latex allergy
Posted Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

Yes, it could be most possibly latex allergy.
Because:
-You recently started using condoms.
-Condoms will prevent transmission of infections.
So infections may not be responsible for your problem.
You better stop using the condoms for one week, possibly by that time the swelling will decrease.
After that use non-latex condoms to prevent this problem in future.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Using condoms for protected sex. Got swollen vagina. Latex allergy? 3 hours later
thank you for the response and it is more of a really light pink not white I will stop using the condom for 1 week to see if it goes away thank you I just got worried because it was swollen and it has been 3 days since use.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 hours later

Sometimes it will take around one week for complete subsidence of symptoms. So you wait for four more days. Possibly by that time the swelling will decrease completely.
If not better to consult gynecologist once.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.