Using betnovate cream for psoriasis. The ointment available not enough. What else can be prescribed?

My wife has been using Betnovate Cream for quite a while (a few years). She has possibly 65% of her body covered with psoriasis & this has been the only thing to relieve her pain/itching. As her body has so much psoriasis especially on her back & upper thighs I have to do the application, which takes a while & so it only happens 2 or 3 times a week, mainly before going to bed & when she says it hurts. She has had this problem since she was in her mid 20's & she is now 62. We now understand that this cream is now being discontinued. The problem is that the ointment which is still available is very difficult to cover such a large skin area & doesn't seem to releive the pain. We realise that this is a POM, but is there anything that we can suggest to my wife's MD that may be able to do what she requires ie pain relief, in respect of her skin.
Lots of sun abroad helps, but obviously that can't be prescribed.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Psoriasis
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 5 hours later

Topical steroids such as Betnovate which you are currently using are the first line of treatment for psoriasis. Apart from that, a vitamin D analogue cream called calcitriol has also been useful in psoriasis.

A similar drug, calcipotriene, may be used in combination with topical steroids for better results. One of such combination creams is Taclonex for which you can consult your wife’s dermatologist as it should not be used on more than 20% of the skin in one person.

Overuse may cause absorption of the drug and an abnormal rise in body calcium levels.

You should also use moisturisers especially those which contain salicylic acid, lactic acid, urea, and glycolic acid. Even Epsom salt is very useful in patients of psoriasis. Instead of sunlight, Psoralen and ultraviolet A phototherapy (PUVA) is helpful and can be discussed with your wife’s dermatologist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries, please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.