Using Togain solution for hairloss. Not responding. Should I stop medication?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
HI ,

I am using tugain solution 5 % (2 ml daily - one ml before sleep and one ml after bath ) from last 15 days. but instead of hair rising it is falling a lot. my age is 26. and i have baldness in front side and in mid too but not to much. should i stop using tugain soln ?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
I have seen the picture attached with the query. It seems that you are having a male pattern baldness which is hereditary in nature.
Hair loss is seen in many conditions like Systemic diseases, Poor Nutritional Status, Scalp infections like bacterial or fungal, Poor Care of Hair, Hormonal changes etc.
For baldness, Minoxidil spray(Tugain) and oral Finasteride medications are recommended but needs to taken only after discussing with your doctor and knowing the cause.
Proper investigations are needed to find out the cause and then to treat accordingly.
Stress and lowered body immunity or change in environment and dietary habits also is responsible for hair loss.
First of all, give your diet an overhaul if you're lacking vital nutrients for growth and switch to foods for healthy hair like food XXXXXXX in protein, vitamins(mainly vit A and vit C) and other micronutrient like zinc, iron and copper. Also eat a healthy balanced meal, use mild shampoo and lather gently and rub gently with towel to dry you hair.
Try and avoid using blow dryers.
Biotin is present in foods like eggs and liver and is considered good for hair growth. So in addition to these foods, biotin supplements can be taken.
Your dermatologist or trichologist (hair expert) will take care of the prescription medicines that are required in your case.
Right now you can continue using tugain solution as it takes 4-6 weeks to show the proper effect.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Using Togain solution for hairloss. Not responding. Should I stop medication? 5 hours later
Thanks XXXXXXX for the valuable suggestion !

I have one more question for you.

As I am using tugain solution, Finastride(Tablet), KZ Lotion(Shampoo). I am also using olive oil . should i stop using oil or if not then what time be best to apply oil on my hair.

Also Can you please provide me diet schedule e.g two eggs in a day or something ??. I desprately need my hair problem to be solved as i am not married yet :)

Looking for your valuable response.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 25 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.
You can apply olive oil to your hairs as scalp massage is helpful. You can do this one hour before washing your hairs. The scalp should be rubbed vigorously till it starts to tingle with the heat. It will activate the sebaceous glands and energise the circulation of blood in the affected area, making the hair grow healthy.
You can follow some simple measures to stop the hair loss and help your hair grow better -
1. Take a high protein diet. You can also apply raw egg on your hairs one hour before washing them for good luster and to cover the damaged parts.
2. Take Iron and zinc supplements.
3. Avoid exposure to direct sun for long durations.
4. Keep your hairs covered outdoors to avoid damage from dust, etc.
5. Take supplements of vitamin B6 and folic acid.
6. Avoid stress and anxiety.
For biotin supplementation taking one egg daily is sufficient.
Hope this answer is helpful.

Do accept the answer in case there are no further queries.