Using Oxicontin for chronic pain after pelvic breakages. Prescribed Valium for PTSD/anxiety. Stopped opiates. Doubling the Diazepam. Guide?

Dec 2014

Hi Doctors
I have a couple of important questions to ask you!

1. I have been using 10mg Oxicontin, x3 per day, for chronic pain after a car accident several years ago,(pelvic breakages). I have obtained XXXXXXX 350mg as I wish to stop using the opiates, but I was wondering if this is going to help with my pain? (350mg seems such a high dose compared to the 10mg of Oxi). I briefly made the swap but as yet there's no pain relief that I can tell - at least not as quick or effective. Do I need to give it more time? What's the difference between the two?

2. I am also being prescribed Valium for PTSD/anxiety 3 times a day, but am I just doubling up on the Diazepam in using Soma?

Thank you so much for your time.......I still may have other questions for you!
Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Oxycodone has high abuse potential

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

I have gone through your query and I can understand your concern. OxyContin is controlled release preparation of oxycodone. It is an opioid drug and it has very good analgesic effect, but also high abuse potential. Insividuals tend to develop tolerance to its effect and increased doses are required for analgesia. XXXXXXX 350 is an analgesic with different mechanism of action. It is a muscle relaxant and this drug also carry abuse potential. But the abuse potential is somewhat less than oxycodone. The dose of 350 mg is on higher side.

Now coming to your questions

1) As per my opinion wait for some days to get proper relief with XXXXXXX You were using oxycodone which is a highly addicting drug and you have shifted to a comparatively low drug. It will be best drug for you.

2) Valium has been given to you for a anxiety symptoms and it can effectively control symptoms of PTSD. The drug is a benzodiazepine and is different from opioids. As per my opinion you can take this drug as per your prescription information.

Hope I cleared your doubt, if you have more questions you can ask again.