Using Nasivion nasal drop for nasal congestion. Can it lead to cancer?

I have been using Nasivion nasal drop for a long time of 4 years on daily basis, can you tell me will it lead to cancer? I have started taking it for nasal congetion but have made it a habit now
Posted Tue, 24 Sep 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No it cannot cause cancer sir

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXX and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

Nasivion nasal drops contain oxymetazoline and is used for the treatment of rhinitis (stuffy nose, irritation and inflammation of the mucous region inside the nose).

The only side-effect of long term use is a condition called rhinitis medicamentosa. When nasivion is actually used for the treatment of rhinitis, long-term use can result in the very same medication causing rhinitis itself. This is caused rhinitis medicamentosa (i.e. medication-induced rhinitis). Other than this, it cannot cause any other side effects, and surely not cancer.

I hope I have provided you with valuable information. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications.

Best wishes.