Using Marvelon. Started to bleed. Is this due to switch in brands? How long will breakthrough bleeding last?

Question
I am from the UK and so have used Marvelon for 15 years. I am currently in Canada however and have been given Apri as a replacement until I return to the UK. I wanted to miss a bleed (as I was on holiday) and so at the end of my last Marvelon pack, went straight onto my new pack of Apri. I have started to bleed however anyway, not much but certainly more than just spotting. Is this due to the switch in brands? How long will the breakthrough bleeding last? I am currently on week 2 of the Apri.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Marvelon and apri have same composition. After finishing the pack of marvelon, if no pill free period was given then withdrawal bleeding is less likely but can happen in some cases due to cyclic rhythm of the body itself.
Now that you have started with the next pack, your withdrawal bleeding should stop in next 3-4 days. Be careful that a pack of Apri contains 28 pills with seven false pills which if taken will cause a withdrawal bleeding to happen.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: Using Marvelon. Started to bleed. Is this due to switch in brands? How long will breakthrough bleeding last? 8 hours later
Thank you for your response. I have noticed that the bleeding is much like a normal bleed actually, so I am hoping it does stop in the next few days. I also wanted to ask you, as the composition of both marvelon and apri are the same and I did not have a pill free period, am I still protected against pregnancy? Or should I be taking extra precautions? I have had sex since switching the pills and am a little worried.

Thanks again

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Do not worry. You are protected against pregnancy as long as you are taking the pills regularly. Apri is equally efficacious as a contraceptive as Marvelon.
Hope my answer is helpful. Further queries are welcome.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.