Using Loette, missed period, history of abortion. Is there some problem to become pregnant?

iam married befor 2.9 yrs, pregnant in first 4 months but i aborted as i was not planning at that time. i missed my period since 45 days after using loette for 2 yrs pl suggest on this wht to do n how to handle this i tested pregnancy test and my result was negative pls suggest. iam a alot worried and planning for a kid now. is there some problem to become pregnant? pls answer all my concerns
Posted Wed, 26 Sep 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query. For delayed periods, firstly you need to test your pregnancy status by doing a urine for pregnancy test for which kits are readily available in market. Use a morning sample of urine and two lines means a positive test.

Alternately you can consult a gynecologist immediately who will do a serum beta hcg test and a pelvic ultrasound to confirm or rule out pregnancy. If pregnancy is ruled out and periods don’t come then the other causes may include hormonal imbalance or other medical conditions that affect the ovaries, uterus, hypothalamus, or pituitary gland.

It could be hypothyroidism, post pill amennorhea , polycystic ovarian syndrome or less frequently a pituitary tumor causing high prolactin levels or a hypothalamic disease. Seek a gynaecologist immediately who will take a careful medical history, a physical examination, including a pelvic examination and investigations like levels of ovarian, pituitary, and thyroid hormones and imaging studies, such as ultrasound, X-ray, and CT or MRI scanning.

Also then infertility should be ruled out since it has been close to three years when you have been married. Common causes of infertility in female are endometriosis, ovulation problem, pelvic inflammatory disease, poor egg quality, polycystic ovarian syndrome, damaged or blocked fallopian tubes etc. In male reason for infertility are related to sperm (azoospermia, oligospermia), problem with sperm delivery, due to sexual dysfunction, and an obstruction etc. Hence complete work up has to be done to know the underlying cause.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.