Using IUD, periods got delayed. Could IUD be displaced and cause pregnancy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
I have been using IUD for a year now, recently a doctor examined my vagina and his finger touched my IUD, my period is late the following month. Could my IUD be displaced and therefore pregnant? My period had always been puntual even with the IUD inserted.
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 25 minutes later
Hello
thanks for your query.
A doctor would touch the IUD threads to examine whether the IUD is correctly placed.
That cannot displace it.
However, an IUD can be displaced by itself or due to other reasons, although chances are less.
If you have missed a period, then please take a urine pregnancy test to confirm it.

Take care, and feel free to discuss further.

Follow-up: Using IUD, periods got delayed. Could IUD be displaced and cause pregnancy? 5 hours later
The doctor did not know of the IUD. Her finger touched the T shape copper and not the string

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 40 minutes later
She would not be able to touch the T shaped copper unless the IUD has come out from the uterine cavity.
Normally only the strings can be felt.

Follow-up: Using IUD, periods got delayed. Could IUD be displaced and cause pregnancy? 2 days later
Good day doctor , I have done the urine pregnancy test, came out negative. Still concerned about my late period because from my readings on the internet, women using IUD who experienced. Late periods turned out to be pregnant even Though their urine test came out negative. Those who were not pregnat said they were given antibiotics before their. Period came.

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 9 hours later
Hello
If the pregnancy test is negative, chances are mostly you are not pregnant.
This test is 97 % reliable.
There is no corelation between antibiotics and the risk of pregnancy.
I would suggest you to confirm with your gynecologist if the IUD is intact.
A pelvic ultrasound would also tell you that.