Using CPAP machine for sleep apnea. What is the reason for experiencing soreness in mouth?

This morning I woke up and there was blood on my pillow. In the past I have experienced this but to a lesser degree. I do have sleep apnea and normally use a CPAT machine however I did not wear last night. The left back side of my mouth feels a little sore.
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 29 hours later
Brief Answer: Clinical examination is needed Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. I am medical doctor, an associate in Department of Oncology, working with an experienced Oncologist. I answer on his behalf. Blood from the mouth to an extent, that its visible on the pillows is a considerable and serious issue. Since you use the CPAP machine there could be considerable dryness in the throat and oral mucosa. This dryness can lead to cracks in the mucosa and bleed but not to the extent that it oozes out to stain the pillow. I strongly recommend you to get examined by your treating doctor to rule out any lesions which can result in bleeding.If necessary a Laryngoscopyr may be ordered to rule out any damage to the airway due to CPAP usage. Regards,