Using Advair and Proair for COPD with oxygen concentrator. Was a smoker. How to treat this?

Pulmonologist
Question
My quality of life seems to be decreasing constantly due to COPD.. I have been using Advair inhalant for the last two years and also ProAir for rescue treatment. I have an oxygen concentrator at home for use in filling my portable tanks when leaving home. However, the tanks are heavy and cumbersome to handle with a handbag and walker or cane. I find that staying at home is the easiest way for me to live but it is also very depressing. Are you aware of any treatment that might help increase the quality of my life. I was a longtime smoker but quit two years ago. I also live alone so I must take care of my house as well as myself. Thanking you in advance for any good news. XXXXX
Posted Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Pulmonary rehab program may help you Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through your query, I woul like to comment the following: 1.Considering your co morbidities and your medical history at your age, we should target a practical and acceptable quality of life. 2. Try enroling in a pulmonary rehabilitation programme if you are eligible for the same. 3. COPD changes are normally irreversible and the target of medical therapy is to slow down the decline in lung functions in COPD. 4. Oxygen therapy is a very useful therapy in severe COPD cases. As far as the restriction of mobilit is concerned, there are portable oxygen cylinders with backpacks which allow you to move in and out of house if required. You may consider this option. 5. Your inhaled medications seem to be satisfactory and dose escalation may be required as per your lung functions. Every 3 monthly lung function monitoring is required. 6. Also do get yearlu flu and 5 yearly pneumococcal vaccination shots. 7. Regular follow up with your pulmonologist is required. I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries. Regards Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra MBBS MD DNB Consultant Pulmonologist

Follow-up: Using Advair and Proair for COPD with oxygen concentrator. Was a smoker. How to treat this? 14 hours later
Thank you for your response. I will definitely consider your recommendations. Apparently there are not very many Re-Hab facilities that offer pulmonary rehabilitation in my area but I will continue to search. XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Do consult your pulmonologist. Detailed Answer: Thanks for the follow up. Pulmonary rehab programme should help you. Consult your pulmonologist regarding the same. Also the local physiotherapist may help find you the same. I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries. Regards Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra MBBS MD DNB Consultant Pulmonologist