Used vicodine, Ibuprophen, and fexinal for lower back pain. Is there any effective treatment?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hello, I have had lower back pain for the last five days. While the pain itself is moderate to light, it is the back spasms that are extremely painful. I wwent to a walk in clinic, and he prescribed me Vicodine, Ibuprophen, and a muscle relaxant called Flexinal. the pain medicines are working great, but yet I still get muscle spasms especially when I lay down. I am losing sleep because of this. What should I do?
Posted Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

I have read your query in detail. The symptoms you have described are more likely to be symptoms of muscles strain.

The following measures will help with the pain
• Lie on a hard bed.
• Anti -inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen and muscle relaxant(you are already taking these after consulting your doctor) will help relieve the pain.
• Avoid forward bending.
• Correct your posture while sitting
• Avoid prolonged sitting
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.
Do regular back exercise for stretching of contracted muscles and strenthening of weak one under guidance of a physiotherapist or your doctor.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.