Used topicart on breast and started burning. Looking for cure

I accidentally used topicart- a too strong dosage on my breast and the side effect of burning occured. What do I Do?? I meant to pick up the 0.05 % and put on the .25%. I would prefer not to bother my Dr at home as it is Sun morning.. Thank you
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 4 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

Could you please mention what was the indication for using topicort. Was it prescribed to you as a .05 % dosage by your treating physician, for psoriasis?

Is it the first time you are using topicort?

Topicort is a steroid cream which is anti inflammatory and reduces itching etc.
However, the common side effects of the drug with topical use is burning sensation, irritation, itching and dryness.
Only a small quantity of the cream should be applied as a thin film over the affected area.

Kindly get back to me with the above details.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan
Follow-up: Used topicart on breast and started burning. Looking for cure 5 hours later
Hi- I'm sorry. We had to go somewhere and just returned home. I have topicort prescribed as 0.25% for the stronger dose and 0.05 % as a lighter dose. I use the stronger for my legs, and arms and the lighter dose for my face- which has only happened on one small patch by my ear. I woke up on Thurs. and my right breast had a patch on my nipple. I wasn't paying attention and accidentally grabbed the stronger dosage. I evidentally used too much too. Boy- lesson learned. Hope this tells you what you need to know- Thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 5 hours later

Don't worry about it. In future use the 0.05 percent topicort and make sure that you use a very small quantity and apply a very thin film on the patch.

There is no need to massage the area with topicort. Just apply it lightly. When you apply too much, side effects are more and also chances of systemic absorption into the body is more.

If the burning sensation is still present, wash the medicine off with clean water , XXXXXXX dry the area and use 0.05% as I have mentioned, small quantity as a thin film and rub in gently . However , if burning sensation still persists even with 0.05% topicort, please talk to your treating physician about this, as the medicine might have to be changed.

Another thing you should know about steroid cream is that ,do not apply it on open wounds or infected areas.

Hope I have answered your query. Do get back to me if you have further queries.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan