Used toothbrush of promiscuous female, abdominal discomfort. Had gall bladder removal. Concerned about Hepatitis C

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
Hello dr. I Had a relationship with a female who I found out was very promiscuous. I have been screened for stds all neg including HIV. One morning while together I accidentally used her toothbrush. This has me concerned about hep c. I have been vaccinated for a and b. around 6 weeks after our last sexual encounter I started having a slight discomfort in my right abdomin. It comes and goes. It sometimes feels like the lower abdomin most of time feels like its just under the bottom 2 ribs. A couple times it felt a little higher towards center of abdomin. It is more of a crampy discomfort then pain. It comes and goes through out the day. I tested neg for hcv antibody at 7 weeks after last sexual encounter and about 9-10 after toothbrush incident. Then again this week at 9 weeks after sex an 11-12 after toothbrush. I still have the discomfort. I had a ct scan done as well which was neg. I am very nervous and been under constant stress thinking about diseases since i ended the relationship 9 weeks ago. I also have diarrhea most of the time but I usually do since having Gaul bladder removed last year. My questions are the following if you don't mind answering. 1-do you feel this could be hep c? 2-in acute hcv is the abdominal pain constant and stay in same place or can it come and go? 3-I know they say window period is up to 6 months but when do the majority of people test +? 4-have you heard of anyone testing neg. at my latest timeframe then positive later? If you could answer all these questions it would be greatly appreciated. I am very stressed and hoping its just extreme anxiety. Also I am 28 in good health besides high choloresoral and I take vitamins. Thank you doctor.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 3 hours later
Hi

Thanks for posting your query

Make one thing clear - Is your partner infected with HCV [Hepatitis C Virus] or a carrier ?

If No Need Not worry

If Yes here is a reply to all your questions :

1] The symptoms are not suggestive of Hep C

2] 80% patients with Hep C are having no symptoms, and the abdominal pain is constant and stays in and around the liver area and it is a vague abdominal discomfort

3] Majority of patients test positive within 6 - 10 weeks of exposure

4] Very rare, not in my knowledge

5] Regarding your diarrhea I would suggest go for a stool examination and we can advise you treatment accordingly

Also as you have the GallBladder removed there are chances this diarrhea could be because of high fatty meals, avoid junk food and high fat meals

Final word of caution : with the stress level you have expressed it is better you avoid unprotected sex and avoid sharing day to day items

Hope all clear, if you have any doubts revert back

Get Well Soon

Follow-up: Used toothbrush of promiscuous female, abdominal discomfort. Had gall bladder removal. Concerned about Hepatitis C 31 minutes later
I do not know her status....but it seems the discomfort comes more if I'm sitting. For instance sitting in the car....any suggestions on what you think could be causing this?

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 4 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for posting your query

If you are not aware of her status, why are you worried?

The symptoms appear to be more of stress related than Hepatitis C related

I would like to reassure you not to worry and keep cool, go for a final HCV titre after say 6 months of exposure to reassure yourself

Hope all clear, any doubts revert back

Get Well Soon

Follow-up: Used toothbrush of promiscuous female, abdominal discomfort. Had gall bladder removal. Concerned about Hepatitis C 36 minutes later
Thanks for your quick reply doctor. So your saying stress could cause these symptoms? I do think about it ALOT. And it seems the discomfort started getting worse the more I thought about it. Also I know most health authority's say 6 months is conclusive but what would you say is conclusive? Reason I ask is most authority's say 3 months for HIV but a lot of doctors now say 6-8 weeks for those who have normal immune systems. So what would you say is safe for a person with normal immune system for hcv? Thanks for your time and god bless.

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 9 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for your followup query

The standards laid down for healthcare are common world over and directed by WHO

With normal immune system for HCV to be conclusively negative would be 12 weeks

But yet to full proof go for one titre at end of 6 months

Hope all clear
Get Well Soon

Follow-up: Used toothbrush of promiscuous female, abdominal discomfort. Had gall bladder removal. Concerned about Hepatitis C 30 minutes later
Thanks doctor...one last question and I'll let you go since I'm sure you are a busy person. Is it possible symptoms could be due to stress and anxiety over the disease? I mean sometime I get nervous over it and look up symptoms online and then I get diareaa just after that. What other things does stress/anxiety cause? And would it help if I went to doctor for anxiety meds? Thanks again doctor. God bless.

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 3 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

It's OK with me, and thanks for the concern
I have repeatedly told you it is related to anxiety
Meditation will help you a lot and in case it doesn't you may definately go for anxiolytics [Anxiety relieving medicines]
Hope all done, Do accept my reply
Get Well Soon