Used tablet to avoid periods. Got periods a after having sex and now no periods. Pregnant?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
i used a tablet to avoid my periods, we had sex during tahe time, i got my periods too again, but now i'm missing my periods, is there any chance of pregannacy??
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 28 minutes later

Usually the tablets used to postpone the periods will not give protection towards pregnancy.
But as you got withdrawal bleeding after stopping the tablets the chance of pregnancy is less.
The cause for your missed periods could be hormonal imbalance due to using additional dose of hormones in the form of pills to postpone the periods.
And also now your last menstrual date will become the date when you got bleeding after stopping the tablets.
So if you didn't get periods even after one month from that date, once go for pregnancy test to rule out the possibility.
If the test comes negative wait for one more week, possibly by that time you will get periods.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Used tablet to avoid periods. Got periods a after having sex and now no periods. Pregnant? 7 minutes later
we had sex using condom, it was on march 27th i got my last period, it is alrdy 9 weeks so i'm bit worried.. can u pl give me a crct suggestion bcoz i'm not married yet, and please let me know the coorect way of abortion for avoiding health issues later ona nd can you suggest some good hospitals too in bangalore

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 9 hours later
The possibility of pregnancy is less as you used condom and had withdrawal bleeding.
Now you once consult gynecologist, get examined and go for ultrasound.
Ultrasound can rule out the possibility of pregnancy and if there is pregnancy it can find out the gestational age also.
According to the gestational age you can choose the method of abortion with your doctor's advice. In early gestation medical abortion with tablets can be done.
You can choose any good hospital near to you. Better options are Manipal hospital, Apollo hospital, MS Ramaiah hospital etc.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.