Used spray with ammonia, coughing, painful, sneezing, eyes burning, nose running. Could I have caught a cold?

Jan 2013

I was cleaning a bathroom and had to get the yellow off the walls because the prior owner were heavy smokers. I sprayed windex(with amonia) on the walls and then spray bleach. I did this regardless of the breathing difficulty in the process. It was very fooolish of me, but it is what it is. since yesterday I have been coughing constantly like when a person ha=s bad chest congestion. the coughs are sharp and hurt, probly from coughing for so long. Im still coughing like i need to get the phlem out, also all night i was sneezing, my eyes burn and my nose is just running like bad allergies; its a constant water faucet coming out of my nose. besides causing damage to my lungs, could i have caught a cold on top, because now i feel like i have a cold and bronchitis.
Posted Fri, 21 Sep 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
There may be 2 possibilities: 1) Got some allergy 2) common cold (Acute flu fever)
Dust during home cleaning is the most cause of allergies.
Dust not only contains sprayed paints of walls but also skin scrapings, mites, viruses and etc.
You should consult with physician/ allergy specialist and get thorough check up of your lungs.
Have you any past history of allergies?
If allergic then there may be acute exacerbation of asthma.
If you are suffering from acute exacerbation of asthma then you may have wheeze and ronchi on chest examination and this may be the cause of persisting cough.
Until unless you will take bronchodilators therapy, your condition won't improve.
You should also take antiallergic (antihistaminics, zileuton, montelukast), anti-inflammatory on written prescription.
If you are suffering from common cold then treatment almost remain the same except there is no need of bronchodilators. This condition takes 3-4 days for recovery and self remitting, although you have to take medicine for smoother life.
There may also be possibilities of acute viral bronchitis, and can be diagnosed only after clinical examination and treatment include hospital stay (if severe) and bronchodilators.
Put your query if you have.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava