Used splint for pain in thumb. Unable to bend middle joint. What should I do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I hurt my L thumb playing softball about 7 weeks ago (I was wearing a mitt). 1 week later since it was still hurting I went and had xrays done. I was told that they were normal, but put me in a splint for 2 weeks (which I was diligent about wearing.) Now we are approaching 8 weeks since the injury. I can't bend my thumb at the middle joint without significant pain. I take Celebrex for another issue, but it doesn't seem to help the thumb. The thumb is swollen, and tender around the joint. Should I be concerned, or is it a wait it out issue?
Posted Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 51 minutes later
Since it is already 8 weeks and the joint is painful, it is likely to be due to a post traumatic stiffness or injury of the XXXXXXX structures of the joint. You need to get it examined from an orthopedician and if necessary go for an MRI scan as it is a very sensitive test in detecting the extent of such injuries.
Till then you can do a hot fomentation of the area. Physiotherapy may be helpful if the XXXXXXX joint injury is ruled out.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.