Used spermicide during sex. Pregnancy test negative. Concerned about being pregnant, advise?

I had sex using only a spermicide (vaginal suppository) as protection 5 days before I was supposed to start my period. I did start my period five days later but it was a little lighter and 1 day shorter than normal. I took a pregnancy test 10 days after intercourse occured and it was negative. I've been reading that when you're that close to having your period even if the sex resulted in a pregnancy it would be too late to stop your normal period from coming. True or false? Should I still be concerned that I'm pregnant or is having my period with a negative test ten days out a safe bet? Thank you!
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 45 minutes later

I can understand your concern for pregnancy but once pregnancy occurs there is complete cessation of periods and menstrual periods do not occur. Pregnancy is less likely in your case due to following reasons:

1)     Pregnancy occurs only during the time of ovulation. Ovulation is the release of a single, mature egg from a follicle that developed in the ovary and occurs on day 14 of a menstrual cycle. Then the eggs disintegrates if there is no fertilization. Having intercourse close to periods will not result in pregnancy.

2)     You had used spermicide which prevented pregnancy.

3)     You had your periods on the expected date. Although you were having less flow, this could have been due to stress and not due to pregnancy. Moreover your urine for pregnancy test has come out normal and after 10 days of missed periods, it usually comes positive in case of pregnancy.

If still you are apprehensive regarding the status of your pregnancy then you can get a serum HCG test which is more accurate than urine for pregnancy test.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.