Used soap at place of work, cleaned face, lips, no blood on soap, dried face, lips thereafter. Chances of contracting HIV ?

Hello, I used bar soap at my place of work to wash my face and outside lips at work due to getting dirty water on me. My question is: is there any chance of contracting hiv if contaminated blood or anything was on that soap, by it getting on my lips. I had my mouth shut the whole time and immediately rinsed the soap and dried my face and lips afterward. Also didnt see anything on soap. I am kinda a hypochondriat and started thinking about it. Please help. Thank You!
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 14 minutes later

Please do not worry, this cannot lead to spread of HIV.

HIV virus is very fragile and any chemical disinfectant or heat can readily kill it. Again is this is not the mode of spread of this disease.

This commonly spreads by
1. Sexual contact
2. Blood transfusion or needle sharing.

This only, when the other person is infected with HIV.

In your case practically, there are no chances of infection. Do not worry.

I hope this answers your query,

I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Follow-up: Used soap at place of work, cleaned face, lips, no blood on soap, dried face, lips thereafter. Chances of contracting HIV ? 5 hours later
I have always read about the disease getting through mucous membranes and the lips being mentioned as so because the skin is not as tough.
I dont even think there was anything on the soapto begin with but I didnt really analyze it. I usually wash my hands with it so didnt even think about washing my face and getting it on my lip because I washed them to to make sure I washed the dirty water off if there was so. So there is definately no possibility whatsoever then? Sorry to ask again but I just want to make sure it is nothing to freak out about and get,it out of my head.
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 6 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

I appreciate your concern in uncertain times. Let me once again assure you that there are no chances of you getting infected by using soap.

You are right that mucous membranes can be port of entry, but this is true in cases if you come across some vaginal secretions, blood, semen of an infected person and it comes in contact with mucous membranes.

The skin of lips is tough in comparison to one inside mouth. Even if you kiss some one who is infected then also chances of getting infection is very very less.

Please do not worry and enjoy life.

Wishing you all the best for the time to come.