Used soap and hot showers. Now face and neck is dry, itchy and discoloed. Swollen lymph node on neck

Dec 2012

I used a soap I believed was too harsh for me together with hot showers now months later my face and neck is dry itchy and discolored , even the texture is different , I also have small bumps ( swollen lymph nodes ) on my neck. I have always had oily skin now my skin is dry and easily irritated . Please help
Posted Thu, 10 Oct 2013 in Dry Skin
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You now seem to be suffering from xerosis

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

According to your description, you seem to be suffering from xerosis which is induced by soap irritation. Let me reassure that this can be reversible so long as you stop using the same soap and any other products that contain same ingredients on your body.
Treatments include:
- Use of moisturizers, especially creams or lotions that contain urea and lactic acid
- use of topical steroids -- for areas that get very inflamed and itchy
- Do not expose your skin to water more than needed.
- Use cool bath water.
- Choose gentle skin cleansers that are free of dyes and perfumes.
Apply oil that contains glycerin or natural oily gel on the body until dryness and irritation is no longer an issue.
As for the small bumps, I do believe that it will merit you consulting with a doctor as I hardly think that this might be related to your skin condition and if related then you might be suffering from an autoimmune diseases which could be responsible for both your skin problem and your swollen lymph nodes.

Hope this helps and wish you the best
Dr. Nsah