Used saline water and polysporin to clean ear wax. Now have haring loss. What should I do?

ENT Specialist
Good morn Doctor, My complaint is with my ears. I had thought that they were plugged with wax after a serious cold but I have been using a neti kettle & saline wash plus Polysporin ear drops and now I've flushed with 1/2 peroxide, 1/2 water. I do not have pain but my ears feel plugged and my hearing is affected. It seems that when the weather is clear my ears will clear up considerably. The next morning however I am back to plugged ears. I do not use q-tips or put objects in my ears. I would be so grateful for your input. Thank-you Bobbi Yesterday my ears were quite clear until 7:30 pm then they began to pound so I put 4 drops in each ear. Today I'm completely plugged. There was an earthquake near here @ that time last night although I'm not trying to infer a connection. I also use a feather pillow. I also have had quite loud jobs in my working career......high school teacher & entertainment management. Are those enough extra details?
Posted Sun, 27 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. After a severe cold, this is commonly seen. The blocked nose causes blockage of the Eustachian Tubes which causes the ears feeling blocked. Get your ear drums examined by an ENT Specialist, first to rule out ear wax. If the ear drum is visible, a fluid level may show up behind the eardrum, which may be dull and retracted. Do you have Tinnitus?

2. An Impedance Audiogram (I/A) will pick up any build up of fluid behind the eardrum (Type 'B' Tympanogram). A PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) will pick up any conductive hearing loss.

3. When this cold decreases, these problems should disappear. If this is temporary then there is no cause for worry.

4. The first line of treatment after confirming that there is no sensorineural hearing loss is conservative anti-allergic, anti-leukotriene, oral and topical decongestants, mucolytics and steam inhalation. If there are signs of infection, antibiotics and anti inflammatory medication may be added. Your detailed ear examination is important. It may show fluid levels, air bubbles, dullness, tympanosclerois and decreased eardrum movement on Vasalva Maneuver.

5. If this fluid does not reduce or if this persists for may weeks, it tends to dry and develop the consistency of 'glue'. Then it may be necessary to do a myringotomy and grommet (ventilation tube) insertion. You may have to repeat the I/A at intervals. It is a simple and objective test.

6. This is not a serious problem and can be treated easily. Many people are restless and disturbed by a blocked ear. If your tests are in order, this will be temporary.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.