Used saline to clean right ear wax, black mass out, used q-tip to see pus, blood with dirt. Using steroid drops. Why nothing helps ?

I have had issues with my left ear last year and it was ear wax. But about a month ago my right ear started to feel the same way. After using Debrox in it for a week it didnt get better, so I used a saleen solution to clean it out, I got a pencil eraser sized white and black mass out of it and it felt better for about a day or two then comes back. I'm stil having the same problem and have to clean it out every other day. I have noticed that when I put in a q-tip it comes out with pus, blood, and a black substance (almost like dirt). The pressure will build so quickly and intensly that I cannot go to sleep, eat or drive. I have a steroid drop that the doc gave me for my mild infection from my left ear, but its not helping. Today my left ear started to feel the same way.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 16 minutes later

I think what you have is impacted ear wax. Normally the system is set that you do not need to clean you ear from in side. Wax gets clear up on its own.

At times when the excessive wax forms or its dries up, this kind of problem can happen.

Pus, blood and the black substance that you see on tip of Q tip could be due to

1. Fungal infection in ear
2. Injury the ear canal during cleaning
3. External ear infection.
4. Debrox, instill 5-10 drops at a time by tilting your head to one side and maintain the position for 10-15 minutes. Do this at least 2 times a day for 3 days. In most of the cases the wax should come up and get cleared.
3. Take analgesic like Tylenol for pain and discomfort you have.
4. Take hot liquids more that will make you feel better.
5. Do not use any other medicated drops without proper diagnosis.
6. Prevent water from getting in when you take bath.

In case nothing helps, then you need consult an E.N.T. surgeon and get your self examined. After examination, in case of impacted wax the doctor will remove it.

Please do not ignore this as it can lead to infection and other problems if not taken care off.

I hope this helps.

Do write again if you have something more to ask.

In case you do not have further query, please accept the answer.

Follow-up: Used saline to clean right ear wax, black mass out, used q-tip to see pus, blood with dirt. Using steroid drops. Why nothing helps ? 34 minutes later
Its not earwax. During the day I can feel it weeping (wet), I will put a q-tip in there to soak it up (thats when it comes out bloody and with pus). If I dont have q-tips to soad it up, the wetness turns into extreme pain. At night, if I lay on the right side, I can feel the blood/pus mixture drain out of my ear.

Right now I have wetness in the ear as we speak, my hearing is muffled in that ear. I can go spray it out and get a pencil sized chunk of what looks like hardened pus out and it will be fine for a day if I'm lucky.

When I had issues with my other ear, it was impacted with earwax, as soon as I got it out, it was fine and never came back. But now I'm starting to notice the wetness in that ear now. Its starting to itch and occaisionally be wet.

The Debrox has gotten to the point that it hurts and burns to put in.
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

Good to hear from you again.

I think it is better that you consult an E.N.T. surgeon and get your self examined at the earliest.

Discharge of pus and blood from the ear needs to be looked for and there are chances of some infection in side the ear or hole in the ear drum.

This needs to be sorted out soon.

After examination you might need a course of antibiotics for infection.

Please just clean the ear from out side, not insert Q tips inside too XXXXXXX just use for soaking as you are doing.

No medicated drops until proper examination is done and diagnosed.

Please visit a doctor.

Wishing you speedy recovery.