Used ranbaxy amexedil for hair fall. Not cured. Looking for best medication

Dermatologist
Question
I am a lady of age 34, I have hair fall problem can I use ranbaxy Amexedil
If not then what would be the best medicine or shampoo for me to stop hair fall
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Hair Loss

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 38 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Hair fall in females could be due to
Androgenetic alopecia or female pattern baldness where there is usually widening of hair parting or the hair loss is commonly seen in centre of scalp and vertex.
Telogen effluvium where there is diffuse hair fall or decrease in hair density. The causes are any chronic illness like dengue, malaria, jaundice, typhoid etc or nutritional deficiency , thyroid disorder , anemia , stress , surgery, pregnancy or lactation
Alopecia areata where hair fall occur as round oval coin shaped patches of hair fall
Local causes like severe dandruff, psoriasis etc

The treatment depends upon the cause and hence I would like to know
Since how long you are having hair loss
Pattern of hair loss- diffuse thinning, broadening of central hair parting, round oval patches of hair loss
Any preceding illness, surgery, anemia, thyroid disorder etc
Any history of severe dandruff or any other scalp disorder.

Answering these queries would help me in advising a proper treatment plan.
Hoping to hear from you soon.

Follow-up: Used ranbaxy amexedil for hair fall. Not cured. Looking for best medication 1 hour later

I had typhoid twice when I was in school and maleria once at that time. But it's been a long time since then.
I have dandruff but not severe.
My hair loss pattern is like this------
diffuse thinning, broadening of central hair parting
I have this problem since when my age was 14-15 years.

Please suggest a good medicine for me.

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 16 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Most probably you are having androgenetic alopecia.
To treat the same
Take tablet follihair new or keraglo XXXXXXX one tab daily
Apply minoxidil solution 2 percent 1 ml twice daily( amexidil or tugain). Do not apply in wet or oiled hair and wash hands after application.

Do not expect immediate results. It would take four to six months to have results. If results are not good, you may then discuss the option of scalp mesotherapy with your doctor
Hope that helps

Follow-up: Used ranbaxy amexedil for hair fall. Not cured. Looking for best medication 14 days later
Hi Doc,

I live in Canada, here I am not getting either of the medicine that you have prescribed

follihair / keraglo XXXXXXX / minoxidil solution 2 percent 1 ml twice daily( amexidil or tugain)

Please prescribed me something that is available in Canada.
My hair is still falling very much.

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 9 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back. I did not know that you are in Canada as you had mentioned Noida/ ghaziabad as your location. The medicines prescribed were indian brand of medicines. I apologise for the inconvenience.

As I am based in India so obviously I would not be able to help you out with specific brand names of the prescribed medicines available in Canada. However you might find the medicines by their generic names. Minoxidil 2 percent solution is easily available over the counter in USA and Canada( for 5 percent a prescription is required).
For an oral hair supplement, you might require a prescription from a dermatologist. Basically for good hair growth a hair supplement containing amino acids, vitamins like vitamin C,D,E, B complex( esp containing biotin, niacinamide, pantothenic acid, folic acid and B 12 ) along with minerals like iron, copper, selenium, zinc, manganese is advised. If you cannot find any such supplement, it is better to get a prescription from dermatologist.

Androgenetic alopecia required at least four to six months to respond. So be patient and compliant with the treatment prescribed.
Hope that helps. Should there be any other doubt, feel free to write back.