Used propofol to put sleep during GI endoscopy. Feeling anxiety. Prescribed lorazepam. Can I take?

Addiction Medicine Specialist
I just had an upper GI endoscopy and they used propofol to put me to sleep. its been about 2 hours since and I'm getting anxiety. I am prescribed 1mg lorazepam for anxiety can I take it? or should I wait? thanks
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you can take it.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to Healthcare Magic!

Propofol and lorazepam when taken together may cause excessive sedation and even death. But if more than two hours have passed after aneasthesia, then there is no harm in taking your scheduled dose of lorazepam. The sedative action of propofol is short-lasting and must have worn off by now. But if you are still feeling somewhat drowsy, then you can try taking lorazepam in less than the usual dosage for today. For example, you can take only half tablet now and take the other half later if you feel that you need it.

Hope this helps you. Please feel free to ask if you need any clarifications.

Best wishes.

Dr Preeti Parakh
MD Psychiatry