Used pin of HIV positive person. It pricked in finger and bleed. Could I get HIV if it was contaminated?

Question
I was pin up my sister clothes who is hiv positive, the safty pin pricked me in my finger it bleed i squeezed that old blood out i am not sure if that pin was contaminated with her blood at anytime. If it was contaminated could i get hiv from that pin? prick
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 45 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
The safety pin prick is not known to carry the HIV virus because the virus is very fragile and dies within minutes in environment.
If the needle was contaminated with patient blood now and pricked some one within 10-15 minutes then there may be risk but after hours there is no risk of HIV.
So you need not worry.
I hope the advise would be helpful for you.

Follow-up: Used pin of HIV positive person. It pricked in finger and bleed. Could I get HIV if it was contaminated? 34 hours later
Thank u so much for putting my mind at , but still scared. I went to the doctor yesterday and ask for an HIV test to be done . she said the same thing you did that there was nothing to worry about and I was a bit upset that she did not give me the antiviral tablets. Since u both as professionals have said the same thing I will try my best to put my mind at rest with gods help, Mobile to get married in two months and I just wanted to be okey thanks for your help keep up the good work. Do you think I should tell my fiance what happened? The problem is that he does not know of her condition and it is not my place to tell him since you think there is nothing to worry about and I am ok.

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 22 hours later
Hi XXXXXX
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
You do not need anti HIV treatment because the exposure you have mentioned does not pose a risk.
No need to tell your fiancee either, do not try to analyze the problems which are not there.
Whether you want to tell about your sister's HIV status or not is a bit personal decision from your side.

Follow-up: Used pin of HIV positive person. It pricked in finger and bleed. Could I get HIV if it was contaminated? 26 hours later
It was very helpful, thanks a million doctor.

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXX
Welcome back.
I wish you and your sister a good health.
Best wishes from my side for your upcoming Marriage Ceremony.

Follow-up: Used pin of HIV positive person. It pricked in finger and bleed. Could I get HIV if it was contaminated? 3 hours later
Thanks Dr XXXXXXX , u all keep up the good work

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 5 hours later
Hi XXXXXX,
Sure,
Thanks for the complement.
Ram