Used nasal decongestant sprays for cold. Sudden loss of smell. Is it due to the sprays?

About three months ago one day suddenly I have lost the sence of selling. Before that, for about 6 months I was suffering from chronic cold. To overcome temporary bursts of colds I use nasa decongestant sprays. Is that the reason for this loss of smelling ? INow, I can feel the basic tastes like sweetness, bitterness, sourness, etc,. The aroma based tastes I am not being able to sence. How can over come this smelllessness.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query
Loss of smell,called as anosmia,may be temporary or permanent.
Temporary loss of smell can be caused by a blocked nose or infection while permanent loss of smell can be caused by damage of olfactory neurons either in nose or brain caused by injury.
Various other causes of loss of smell are
Nasal polyps
Tumors of brain
Long use of intranasal drugs
Chronic atrophic rhinitis
Zinc deficiency etc and so on...
In your case persistent cold and regular use of nasal sprays looks to be culprit.
For your treatment advise is
Take steam inhalation three times a day
Avoid cold liquids
Take hot liquids
Stop using nasal decongestants
Since your symptoms appear to be mild you should be alright with these measures in next 2to 3 weeks ,however if you dont improve then you are advised to consult an ENT specialist for proper evaluation and treatment.
I hope to have answered your query however you can revert to me for any further query.
Thanks and best of luck.
Follow-up: Used nasal decongestant sprays for cold. Sudden loss of smell. Is it due to the sprays? 57 minutes later
if the persistant cold is one of the core reason, can I have the remedy for that ?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Persistent cold may be due to chronic sinusitis.
You must consult an ENT specialist and get complete blood count along with CT sinuses
Once the diagnosis is made,treatment becomes easy.