Used medicine for weight gain. Getting stretch and itching on thighs after stopping the medicine. Any ideas?

Psychiatrist
Question
Sir,

iam used dexona & ciplactin for weight gain and after stopping that iam gettng stretch XXXXXXX & itching in thighs please suggest me to clear this.

regards,
Posted Fri, 27 Jul 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Dexona contain dexamethasone and ciplactin contain cyproheptadine. This combination is very commonly abused in several parts of India mainly due to advices of unqualified doctors and friends.

Dexona is a steroid and it very XXXXXXX to take it for weight gain only. It has many side effects like: Diabetes, increase BP (hypertension), Weight gain, depression, moon like face, hair loss, Ulcers and skin stretch marks (stria). So never take it for weight gain.

Skin stretch marks occur while gaining or loosing weight and due to side effect of Dexona. Currently just maintain your weight to prevent it. Apply some moisturizing cream.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Used medicine for weight gain. Getting stretch and itching on thighs after stopping the medicine. Any ideas? 1 hour later
effects of stretchmark whether it is harmful & iam getting itching on my ties

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 6 hours later
Hello again,

Thanks for follow up,

Stretch marks are not harmful itself.

For itching you can take tab cetrizine 10mg once daily for 10 days. Also apply candid powder on stretch marks to prevent and treat fungal infection which may also cause itching.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Used medicine for weight gain. Getting stretch and itching on thighs after stopping the medicine. Any ideas? 2 days later
i have lots of stretch XXXXXXX how to cure pl suggst medicine and how long dexona effect in the body

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 15 hours later
Hello again,

Thanks for follow up,

Stretch marks usually permanent. It can decrease slightly with time. If it is very much, you can see some cosmetologist.

Dexona effect last for 1-2 days.

Wish you good health.