Used kerosene to treat lice. Now skin started burning. How to get relief?

I have lice my mom recommend kerosene. my skin is burning. How do I calm the burning?!
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later

Kerosene is absolutely not indicated in the treatment of lice. There are a variety of solutions available as shampoos to neatly get rid of the lice in two or three applications.

Kerosene causes contact dermatitis. You should first wash the parts with clean water to flush out the irritant. You need to apply calamine lotion or zinc oxide cream or cool colloidal oatmeal bath and cold compresses for 30 minutes three times a day if blistering develops. Oral antihistamines and hydrocortisone cream may be needed if itching develops. Avoid scratching the area as secondary infection may develop.

See a dermatologist if you do not find relief within a couple of days.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.