Used hydrogen peroxide and cleaned ears using buds. How to reduce ear pain?

ENT Specialist
Question
I used hydrogen peroxide and then cleaned ears using buds. After some time having so much pain inside ear. Please help to reduce the pain.
Posted Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 26 minutes later
Hi

The pain in the ear following cleaning could be due to two reasons (i) Excoriation of the canal skin or (ii) Swollen impacted ear wax.

Hydrogen peroxide used can cause the canal skin to become supple. Once the skin is soft and supple, the use of ear buds could have traumatized the canal skin inducing inflammation and pain.

The second cause could be due to swelling of the ear wax following instillation of the hydrogen peroxide. The wax thus swollen exerts pressure over the canal skin causing excruciating pain.

My advice to you is to take some pain killers such as ibuprofen or diclofenac which are available over the counter. And, consult your doctor for a complete evaluation and management.

Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Used hydrogen peroxide and cleaned ears using buds. How to reduce ear pain? 51 minutes later
Thanks for your suggestion.

Please suggest any home remedy for this ear pain.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 24 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing back

As I mentioned in my previous query, you can take tablet diclofenac or ibuprofen for the relief from pain. But without examining the ear drum, it is difficult to comment about the treatment aspect, because the management varies depending upon the ear findings.

It is wiser not to mess up with the things by using any ear drops. Please consult your doctor for a complete examination of the ear.

I wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Used hydrogen peroxide and cleaned ears using buds. How to reduce ear pain? 13 hours later
Thanks Doctor.
After taking the diclofenac, pain got relieved.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later
Hi

Welcome back

It is good to know that your pain has got relieved, but still, I would insist you to consult your doctor for a complete evaluation.

I wish you good health

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon