Used corn cap on foot. After how long should I remove it?

I have a corn below my left foot ( below the thumb in the sole). i have started using a corn cap/plaster. after how many days should I check the skin that can be removed , what would be the best way to remove the dead skin and after removing should I apply I a band aid?
Posted Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
Corn cap is usually kept for 7 days before removal.
Afterwards you can check for removal of corn and after that if removal is not proper then another corn cap can be applied.Dead skin can be best removed by either application salicylic acid preparation or by surgical blade.
You can apply band aid after removing corn cap.

The best method of removal would be either cryotherapy with liquid nitrogen or radiocautery removal.RF cautery is a one time procedure where corn can be removed in one sitting and you can continue your work very same day.The procedure is available at dermatology clinic.

Hope this helps.

I will be available for follow up.

Follow-up: Used corn cap on foot. After how long should I remove it? 14 hours later
Thanks for the reply doctor.

I am a little worried as I am doing this treatment on my own at home. pharmacy helped me in picking up a corn plaster. after few days when skin is ready for removal, please suggest me the appropriate way to remove skin or will I have to see a podiatrist...and any advice after removal apart from applying band aid to avoid any kind of infection.

Thanks & regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 20 hours later
hi again,
Remove the plaster slowly .Ensure complete removal by gradual pull from one side to other.
Its always better to visit a podiatrist.
To avoid infection keep the area dry.
Also you can apply antiseptic cream like betadine ointment or soframycin cream 2-3 times over the area.Also a short cource of oral antibiotics for 3 days is advisable.
Hope this helps.