Used condoms, but broke. Took morning after pill. Had light bleeding. Again to pill and noticed no spotting. Indication of pregnancy?

Question
Hello, I am very stressed with the thought I may be pregnant. My boyfriend and I used condoms but in the last month, it broke twice (within the same menstral cycle). Both times , I took the morning after pill within the 12 hours. The first time, I had light bleeding a few days after. With the second morning after pill (i took it a week ago) I still haven't had any spotting.

Is this an indicator that I am pregnant?

Many thanks
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX

thanks for your concern. This doesnt necesarily mean you are pregnant since the objective of the morning after pill is to discourage implantationin the uterus but not necessarily shedding of the endometrium. My best advise would be to keep monitoring your cycle and if you see a 1-2 week menstrual delay a pregnancy test would be in order

yours truly

Dr Brenes Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN

Follow-up: Used condoms, but broke. Took morning after pill. Had light bleeding. Again to pill and noticed no spotting. Indication of pregnancy? 35 hours later
Thanks so much for your response.

So just to confirm - even though I took the morning after pill twice in a cycle, I should still expect my period to arrive at around the same time or a little early or late (as indicated on the morning after pill website)?

Would I expect to see any symptoms this early if I was pregnant or could it be the result of the pill (s). My nipples have been a little more hard than usual but not sore or swollen. I'm not sure whether it is my imagination or whether this is a symptom as I am a bit stressed with the whole situation!

Thanks so much for your assistance.

Dear XXXXXXX

Both the stress and the medication can give non-specific symptoms; in terms of the nipples, the manifestation we usually encounter is tenderness or soreness, which can be along with nausea an early symptom of pregnancy. Your period should be indeed in time or close; if you have a delay of at least 1 week, then a pregnancy test would be in order.

All in all, breath in, breathe out! Stress and anxiety can delay a menstrual period as well.

Best regards

Follow-up: Used condoms, but broke. Took morning after pill. Had light bleeding. Again to pill and noticed no spotting. Indication of pregnancy? 9 hours later
Thanks again for your response - I am sorry to bombard you with questions, this will definitely be the last one!

So to confirm, the erect nipples could be simply a result of the medication?

Also, as I am driving myself (and my husband) absolutely crazy and my period is not due for around another week, would it be too early to test for a possible pregnancy? I think my fear comes from the fact the second 'mishap' happened around the middle of my cycle, which I know is the most XXXXXXX time to conceive.

Thanks again for your help, it is very appreciated.

Dear XXXXXXX

1) Yes, the erect nipples could be a hormonal side effect

2) indeed that is the most fertile window, but it would still be early to have a pregnancy test; hormones are detected at least a week after the first missed period

3) easier said than done but relax! I have learned that it makes little sense to worry about the future since we cant change it, and we forget to live the present...

best regards