Used common toilet in a hotel room. Chances of getting HIV infection?

Dec 2014

before 8 days when I was using the toilet of a hotel room , when my feces fell on the toilet water some toilet water fell on the head of my penis. sometimes my semen comes out during strain in toilet (I don't remember on that day it came out or not). After sometime of this incident I masturbated. I am afraid that that toilet may be used by some one else just before me who may infect the toilet water by semen/blood or by any other mean. Is there any chance of HIV infection ? I am much worried by thinking that that toilet water may contain HIV virus from others and that may touch my semen. Please help me I am much worried.
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 20 minutes later
Welcome to Health Care Magic

You used a toilet of a hotel room and the toilet water fell on your penis. You are suspecting that it might be infected.

First of all I would like to tell you that HIV spreads by three main modes of transmission-

- One is sexual contact with infected person and even with sexual contact risk is not 100%. Minor abrasions on skin of penis or increases the risk.
- Second mode is transmission from infected mother to developing fetus.
- Third is either by blood transfusion or by organ donation or by iatrogenic methods as infected needles etc.

You are just suspecting that the water was infected. If we assume that water was infected even then the risk of transmission is very very rare. And if you were not having any injury or micro abrasions on penis so the risk is nil. So be assured there is no need to worry. Don't waste your time in thinking about this thing again and again.

Still you have any doubt left then you can go your HIV p24 antigen essay, which is one of earliest test to detect infection. But the test will come negative.

Hope I cleared your doubt, if you have more questions you can ask again.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD
Follow-up: Used common toilet in a hotel room. Chances of getting HIV infection? 6 minutes later
thank U sir. as far as I know there was no visible wound on my penis. But what are the chances of HIV infection if I have any STD ? And R U saying that if I have any wound on any area which exposed to toilet water on that day may be infected with HIV ? U have told that if I have any micro abrasions on penis then I may have HIV by the above situation ? Pls help sir. Thank U in advance.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Hello again
I was saying the area on penis where water spilled.
Even if there were micro abrasions on penis still chance is zero. Because HIV virus can't survive in water for long time, and infection from water need high concentration of HIV virus in water which is not possible in toilet water which is flushed regularly.
There is no risk of transmission, so no need to worry.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD